Super73 Bike Review (Newport Beach, CA)
The Super73 bike is oftentimes credited to have started the electric mini-bike craze a few years back. Now, in 2020, the company is still on top of the charts with its current and fun Super73-S1 model electric bike.
The Super73-S1 is both minimalist and extravagant as it comes with everything you need and nothing you don’t. In regard to its design, this means you get a simple seat, no shifters, and a bare-bones framke. However, the bike is not to be judged by its simplicity. Here’s why: with the simple frame and amenities to the bike, you’re still getting an over the top experience, with a fast, furious, and powerful ride that will genuinely make you as giddy as a kid in a candy store.
Furthermore, the minimalist nature of the bike does not make it void of incredible features. See below for a bulleted breakdown of said features before we dive into the review further:
- Motor: 500 W nominal, 1,000 W peak rear hub motor - the internally geared brushless DC hub motor is capable of outputting up to 1000 watts of peak power.
- Top speed: Advertised as 32 km/h (20 mph), in reality, closer to 40 km/h (25 mph).
- Range: 56-64 km (35-40 miles) depending on user input (less when loaded with heavier weight). **Battery range estimates depend on conditions such as rider weight, speed, temperature, wind, tire pressure, terrain, incline, etc. Mileage may vary.
- Battery: A durable 768 watt-hour removable battery allows riders to easily charge the battery using any standard 110v outlet.
- Charge time: 3-4 hours
- Weight: 31.7 kg (70 lb)
- Size: The Super73-S1 comes in one size. With a 30” seat height, adjustable handlebars, and a 275lb weight limit rating, the Super73-S1 is designed to comfortably accommodate riders between 4’10 - 6’2”. An optional extended seat can accommodate taller riders.
- Max load: 125 kg (275 lb)
- Frame: Steel
- Wheels: The 20 x 4.25” all-terrain tires are perfect for paved road riding and light-duty off-road adventures.
- Brakes: All Super73-S1s are equipped with Tektro hydraulic disc brakes. Hydraulic brakes give the rider more control and modulation of the braking system with less effort. Hydraulic brake systems are completely sealed for low maintenance and longer life.
- Extras: LED halo headlight, tail light with brake light, removable rear rack, optional extended rear seat, thumb throttle, three levels of pedal assist, LCD display with speedometer, battery gauge, odometer, tripmeter, includes solid-state 5A high power charger.
Now that we have the logistics out of the way, let’s dive into how the bike rides!
To get straight to the point, the Super73-S1 is a blast to ride! The powerful rear motor allows for plenty of acceleration on the street, equally tearing up the dirt when off-roading.
Furthermore, the bike is persevering as it can climb steep hills just as well as it can ride on flat ground. Due to the bike’s smaller 20-inch wheels which increases rear wheel torque, the bike is more nimble and thus, fit for hills. This quality also makes the bike perfect for weaving between cars, trees, or other obstacles.
And though the Super73-S1 is a bit pricier than the standard budget e-bike, the step up in price means a step up in overall features and experience. One of those experience contributing features is the hydraulic disc brakes, which are so strong and crisp, there’s really never a need to worry about adjustments. This is a particularly important feature of the bike because the bike is capable of reaching such high speeds of 25mph, strong braking is absolutely imperative.
Speaking of speed, we have noticed that the Super73-S1 tends to under market their bike’s top speed ratings. Like mentioned above, the biks lists its high speed rating to 20mph, however in our experience riding, we are able to regularly hit 25mph on flat ground, which is a little secret bonus we love to share!
Though we would love to continue our raves, such as the super cool headlight that is extremely visible and the double kickstand that makes the heavy ebike topple-proof, we promised an unbiased review of our ebikes, which is why now, we will discuss a few minor qualms we have with the Super73-S1.
One minor complaint about the ebike, is the curved seat. Not everybody enjoys it or finds it comfortable. However, there is always the option of upgrading the seat to a bench seat, making it a very easy hurdle to cross.
Next, there’s no suspension. However, we don’t personally find an issue with that due to the fact that the big tires seem to make up for the lack of suspension. Essentially, big potholes and/or branches can affect your ride, but the smaller ones will not. We can thank the big tires and cushiony seats for doing a great job contributing to a smooth cruise.
To conclude, the Super72-S1 is a small package that offers a huge stack of fun times!
Though the bike isn’t perfect (which bike really is?), some preferring a few comfort upgrades, you’re still getting a high quality bike that is not only one of a kind, but the pioneer to a whole ebike movement that is the mini bike. You will see other companies trying to imitate this very bike, but nothing really beats the blueprint that is the Super73-S1!
If you have any more questions regarding this bike or any other bike on the site, contact us or come into to see us personally so we can help you find the best bike for YOU!